Monday, December 7, 2009

In the beginning...there was Smashbox Masterclass

I have so many recent photo shoot picture I would love to post, but I think it would be fun to pay homage to the reason I became so passionate about working behind the scenes.

In 2006, I had a great opportunity with my company to fly down to Smashbox Studios to participate in a photoshoot and learn the ins and outs of what happens behind the scene. If you are not familiar with Smashbox cosmetics, or smashbox studios; Smashbox studios is a wherehouse if you will of studio space that Dean and Davis factor began (the grandsons of Max Factor…not the creeper grandson). Almost any major fashion magazine cover you pick up or music video you see was filmed at Smashbox Studios, as well as major runway events including LA fashion week. So as you can imagine, this was a great oppiortunity to learn from the best.

We were all introduced to the designer, Jennifer Grossman, and what her line was all about. We then were taken through a lesson on what goes on back stage, expectations at shoots, as well as best practices for hauling our vastly huge makeup kit around with us the most effectively. We (I think there were about 8-10 of us) were then paired up with a model and sent away to start makeup. When our model was up, we got to be behind the scenes as they shot. Looking at the monitor the camera was tethered to, we could see how our work was transposing onto film and given the opportunity to make adjustments. It was an absolute blast! (and I even met one of my dearest friends that day)

Sadly after three and ½ years, I don’t remember my models name, (or have many pics left) but she was an absolute doll! We discovered she was attending FIDM, my alma matter, and we dished about it the whole day.

Here is a few of the pics I managed to salvage from the shoot that I have left!





The designer is Jennifer Grossman with Ankh apparel and you can find her clothing at

http://www.ankh-clothing.com/com

And if you have never looked at smashbox cosmetics, you have to check them out!

Come into Sephora and play or visit either Sephora.com or SmashboxCosmetics.com

1 comment: